Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Things I love #1



















Sprouts.
note: this is completely irrelevant to the fact that i'm in italy
I have always had a thing for alfalfa sprouts. to me they taste like spring. so yummy and good for you, they are like fairy dust, tiny little things you sprinkle over anything to make it tastier.  This summer i did some of my own little sprouts in a jar on my window sill, but i have heard they have special containers with drainage systems made for sprouting things. (birthday? i know what a strange present to ask for)

Today i found a list of things that you can sprout. maybe i will look into sprouting some things here in italy and see how i do...

  • Alfalfa (neutral flavor, not too crunchy): I honestly don’t soak these but I’ve heard 1-6 hours. They will sprout in a day or two.
  • Quinoa (similar in taste/texture to alfalfa, perhaps a bit less crunchy): Soak 2 hours.
  • Lentils (Nutty, crunchy and a little bit spicy): Soak 8 hours  Red, green, yellow, French.  They are all good.
  • Radish seeds (spicy little sprouts): I don’t soak them but you can do 2 hours if it makes you feel better.
  • Fenugreek (smells like curry, great crunch, moderate spice): Soak overnight to 12 hours
  • Wheat and Spelt Berries (great at any stage, more chewy than crunchy): Soak overnight to 12 hours
  • Mung Beans (neutral flavor, great crunch): Soak overnight to 10 hours.  
  • Buckwheat (the hull can be papery.  I prefer to soak and dehydrate buckwheat for granola instead of sprouting.  Don’t use Kasha, I think it’s already cooked.  I haven’t tried hulled buckwheat):  Soak 30 minutes.
  • Clover (similar to alfalfa, but more “delicate” tasting): I don’t soak but my guide says 6 hours.
  • Chia (is a disaster.  It becomes a gelatinous mess like flax does).  I soak chia overnight and throw the whole thing in a smoothie.  I have not experiemented further.  It clogs up my sprouting trays.
  • Flax: same as chia, but I don’t sprout it.  I prefer it just ground and added to smoothies or in baking.
  • Broccoli Seeds (great for salad, small sprout, neutral taste): Soak overnight
  • Chickpeas (are fun to sprout.  Raw hummus!)  Soak 48 hours.
  • Peas (fresh and crunchy) Soak overnight to 12 hours.

3 comments:

  1. The corn you took pictures of in Italy,turned out alot better then my 76 corn plants I planted this spring,although the bean plants growing on them are doing nicely!
    If possible could you bring back a Italian small coin for Christopher?
    Keep enjoying Italy and those lovely pictures you're taking!Miss you!
    Blessings,
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh yes. the cornfields here are big, but not as big as the vineyards with the rows and rows of grapes.
    wow 76 corn plants is alot though!! did you get alot of corn off of them?
    yes i could definitely bring back european change! i have a jar of it back in the apartment on my bedside table.
    miss you too! much love from italia <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laura,
    Just was admiring some more of your awesome pictures! I never knew that Nutella was made in Alba! Thats what Christopher always eats with his peanut butter sandwiches,the combination is yummy,try some on an apple maybe.
    We did get corn but they were very tiny ears!!
    I got this idea from an old American Indian legend of the three sisters.The oldest sister is corn,she stands tall and straight,and is the protector. The middle sister is the bean,she is weaker and corn allows her to lean on her for support. The youngest sister is squash,she protects her big sisters roots with her large leaves,to keep the soil moist.5 years late but Christopher still enjoyed playing in his teepee.
    The beans did well and the Zucchini did well though.
    It's so fun to hear you enjoying the beauty around you,there's so much we miss when we hurry.I feel like I'm right there with you absorbing the sights,sounds and smells,keep using those precious gifts of yours.
    PS I remember my mom and dad talking about those unique toilets.
    Love,
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...