Sunday, February 6, 2011

cream tea, a candy shoppe, and antiquing



Good things in life.

Ah. Few things make me sigh out of pure happiness but cream tea is one of them.  Afternoon tea with scones and cream and jam is a tradition that I strangely enough started in Italy and have of course continued whilst in England!  This particular Sunday afternoon Craig and I wandered past my favorite print shop, the one with the Victorian valentines, went to The Queens Lane Coffee House, and ordered a cream tea with Chamomile tea for me and English tea for him.  Absolutely fabulosa! Mmm. And people say English food is awful? Don’t believe it for a second. 

We sat in the corner and had our tea and scones, and young couples with babies kept sitting next to us, yes literally two or three separate couples with infants in prams. So that kept me entertained, because I love babies, while craig tried to pretend they weren’t there, because he is not what you would call a baby person. Then one of the mothers caught me staring at her baby and we had a semi cute/awkward moment where I smiled and blushed and pretended I wasn’t really blatantly staring at her child, which of course I had been.

Anyways it was rather marvelous and definitely worth the few pounds we spent on it.  Tonight Craig has badminton (I’m dating such an athlete) and I have to get started on my gardening essay on Baroque English Gardening.  I really do love learning about various gardening techniques.  Actually I feel very invested in all of my classes here.

Last night I helped craig look for summer internships and jobs.  He is applying to work at a rock climbing wall, but also to a few adventure camps, and for a photography internship with Smithsonian, which is a reach but sounds awesome, and really you never know.  I’m heavily encouraging him to send out applications to multiple places so that he will have a choice in what he does this summer and can keep his options open.  Personally I’m hoping to fill my summer with classes at Rutgers. I checked out the schedule of classes being offered for this upcoming summer and sent out some emails to my advisors at SMCM asking about transferring credits from Rutgers to SMCM.  Since it is the weekend, no one has gotten back to me, so we shall see with time I suppose.  In other medium term plans, I am working on my SMP proposal, sending out emails and getting my feet wet in some preliminary research! Hopefully I will also have a chance to do some volunteer work at a farm this summer as well, to give me some hands-on experience. I’ve been looking into internships I could get with the Smithsonian greenhouses in DC over winter break which would push WOOFING in New Zealand with my friend Emma to spring break.  I’ve also applied to be an RA for next year on campus, which would help refund my bank account. I find out if I get accepted February 21, two weeks from now.  Craig also applied. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

In short term plans, I love my sweaters and have been pining away over a new grey cashmere one I found in the Edinburgh wool mill, so soft and warm and perfect. I’m thinking about getting it for myself for valentines day.  I’ve been running nearly everyday with the exception of my rest and alternate exercise days in preparation for the looming marathon!  Kiri and I are both doing well and feeling good about it!  We did over 7 miles on Friday (our long run day).  Other things on my unnecessary spending list include: picking up some protein mix and soymilk to help with my training, abouquet of lavender, and some new dangly earrings to make me feel pretty.  Also perhaps a trip to Whales is in order…or a weekend in Paris. Sigh. Poverty. Haha.  No but in all seriousness, life is good and full of learning and good food and plans.  I’m the happiest ive been in a long time, and that’s saying something because im nearly always happy. Haha.

Cheers.

























Add caption












1 comment:

  1. laura you are such a beauty. love the "satorlialist" pic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...