Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sunny Morning at the Ashmolean


Spent the morning at the Ashmolean Museum for my drawing in Museums class.  I love the class because for the first time ever in my life im starting to form a deeper kind of relationship with the Ashmolean and other museums.  Instead of just coming once and whisking my way through the various rooms and exhibitions I am will spend hours staring at one drawing in one room of the museum, and time just completely flies by.  Today, however we were allowed into a special backroom through an appointment and one of the museum curators pulled up various famous drawings and paintings and put them right in front of us to draw... no glass or frames or anything.  It felt a bit like we were getting a secret peek into the private sketchbooks of some really famous artists.  We even got to work with a Michelangelo piece!!!  I was nervous to breathe around pieces so precious but it made me realize that all these famous artists were just like us. They had talent and skill yes, but they drew with pencil on paper just like everyone else.  It helped me realize that great art is not some unattainable thing, but rather the forum for great art is still open, the discussion is still taking place and not all "great art" is a thing of the past.  Later this week i have a private appointment to pull up and work with some more Michelangelo and Rafael originals. swoon away my loves.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...