Monday, March 21, 2011

Ireland

Why have i not scrap-booked all my photos yet? I should really get on that.
I mean blogging is nice but really... nothing compared to having that tangible album with big pictures, messy captions, and the actual ticket stubs and such.

Alas!
For the first time in twenty years I spent St. Patricks day away from my super Irish family, and spent it instead, with good friends in Ireland.  Bryan and Paige are long time friends of Craig and I, and even though we only see them a handful of times each year, the times we spend together are always full of laughter.  This semester they are studying abroad attending UCC in Cork, Ireland.  They have an apartment in Cork with a waterfront view of the River Lee, which reminded me of our Tames back in Oxford.  Anyways their living situation is much cooler than Craig and I's (we're in a basic boarding school layout), they have a full apartment with a kitchen, living room area, bedroom, bathroom, and guest room! Its very grown-up and impressive!  

Craig and I stayed in the spare bedroom, which believe us was one million times better than any hostel we've ever been at.  Our flight to Cork Airport was literally THE smoothest traveling we have ever done.  We checked in online, only had carry on bags, and literally walked through the airport onto the plane.  note to self: LOVE Aer Lingus.


London Gatwick Airport I think.
Craig putting my bag in the locker compartment.  Its so nice traveling with someone tall who can reach up there! I never can.


Ireland from the plane above! I love the green patches.





We arrived in Cork airport and took the quick bus to the city center where we met up with Bryan and Paige, who had gotten up early to walk out and meet us. They are so sweet.


Cork, and Ireland in general, seemed to be filled with colorful buildings.  They reminded me of a hybrid between the architecture of Amsterdam and the colors of Italy's Cinque Terre.  They made me happy, even with grey skies.


The St. Patricks Day Parade in Cork! "Te teme ah de parade is happiness!" the announcer was funny and kept playing very sleepy-time lullaby music and announcing the theme of the parade- which this year was happiness.  This made me wonder what the theme of the parade had been other years... sadness? famine? haha. Anyways. Cork more is a FAMILY city apparently!? Ive never seen so many children in all my traveling, or at home?  It was actually really adorable, there were a ton of babies everywhere, tucked into prams, on peoples shoulders, everywhere. Parents even let their children stand on top of telephone booths, which worried me and Paige, but didn't seem to phase anyone else.  I think its probably the strong Irish Catholic religion that results in so many children and such large families, but maybe Im completely wrong. Idk.  Whatever it was, Cork was filled with colors and children, and I loved it. 

Bryan and Paige took us to their favorite hot chocolate place in town after the parade, where we ordered some drinks.  We ended up going to this cafe twice during our trip, so the first time I ordered a dark chocolate with two shots of espresso, and the second time, a bitter dark chocolate. Each time you order, your drink comes with a little cup of chocolate chips which are super delish.  The picture I took here isnt great but I had to include it because the drink was so fantastical.  I have to say I think that the Irish are better at chocolate than the English are (and weirdly also better at cheese? Dublin cheese was to die for, although I do love red liester cheese from england).

T
This is all of us in the elevator outside B+P's apartment.


We walked to the produce market and bought fresh veggies to save money from going out everyday for food.  Craig and I threw together our favorite quinoa dish that I'm pretty sure his mom invented. mmm... we could seriously live off this stuff.  But we didn't have to because Bryan and Paige kept taking us to wonderful restaurants and cafe's and bars around town where I completely gained back any weight I had lost with my marathon training.  

My two favorite meals from the trip:

Rocket salad with caramelized apples, goat cheese, beetroot, olives, and black balsamic vinegar

Chocolate Chip pancakes in the shape of Shamrocks (we tried) with Irish butter and Syrup poured all over!

yeah neither are pictured here so don't get confused.




Cork!
Our lovely hosts!
Brendan and Ashley came all the way from the US to join us on our adventures!  They are going on to tour Galway and the shores of Ireland on the "paddywagon" tours, which I think is a hilarious name for a tour group. Anyways, Brendan and Ashley were both friends of Craig's back in high school and even though I have heard lots about them and feel like I know them, this was one of the first times we really got to bond in person, which was super lovely.


Blarney Castle!  In the rain it was a bit dreary, but kissing the Blarney stone was not about to be skipped.





Smooches!  Yes i know i look rather skeptical, if you know me you probably know i don't like heights, let alone leaning over an opening in the ground with some strange man holding my shirt to keep me from falling out of the castle. haha.


The grounds of Blarney Castle are beautiful and include a large mansion, a sprawling lake, and an arboretum with some really interesting looking trees.  The boys, being boys, climbed into a tree and posed for boy-band pictures. Aren't they just the cutest things? haha 
Back in Cork with some sunshine!





On Sunday we headed out to Cobh and FOTA on a local train. The train was really clean, and small, only three cars.  The ride through the countryside was gorgeous and I couldnt capture the beauty on film to do it justice. The weather couldnt have been better, sunny and warm enough for short sleeves!






Arrival in Cobh, and heading out to explore the little shore town!






I love all the colorful doors and buildings here, I really couldnt get over it. They were so pretty!




Tell me this color yellow doesnt remind you of the walls of (my old room/ the office) in NJ. ^




We wandered upon a cathedral just as a well attended morning mass was getting out (prettiest church bells ive ever heard in my life).  The boys took photos of the alter and the stained glass windows, but I found a fat friendly cat among the pews, Lilly, who apparently attends all the services for some reason (according to Ashley who overheard some old lady talking about it!)  Lilly was so cute, I want a cat just like that when I have an apartment.













We walked down on the rocky shore during the low tide and I collected bits of glass and pottery washed in by the sea.  I have never seen so much sea glass at one beach as I did in here. I suppose its all the bottles of alcohol?









Next we headed to FOTA a wildlife island where the animals arent kept in cages (except the cheetah) but rather just kind of wander around, and are separated by little streams of water? which do little to keep the kangaroos and lemurs where they are "supposed" to be.  The highlight of our day was watching a little baby kangaroo jump into its mommy's pouch! and also petting a very friendly Kangaroo, who reminded me a bit of Happy back at home, sitting in the sun, sleeping, and not really caring too much about who was giving it pets and scratches. miss you happy!


I don't have a zoom lens, so these pictures are all taken at this distance from the animals!
Doesnt this giraffe look so awkward? love him.








One of the street food vendors was selling flax-seed gluten-free cookies! I had two: one ginger, one chocolate.
Interesting graffiti on one of the garbage cans.


Sunrise in Cork at the bus station before we leave to fly home (to Oxford). :(


Things I learned from Bryan and Paige this weekend:

1. JamiGingies- Jamison, Ginger Ale, and limes.  Irish whiskey! No other whisky is worth drinking!
2. The Script has a new album out: "Science and Faith" For the First Time- its amazing and I need to go buy a C.D.
3. Grey's Anatomy might be Craig and I's next nighttime TV show (sorry Chuck)
4. New fun-reads recommended by B+P: Miracle in the Andes and 127 Hours (I also still need to see the movie!)
5. Always say hi to babies. 
6. Two things to keep around at all times for endless hours of entertainment: a soccer ball, and a deck of cards. Which leads me to....
7. A new card game! Drown the Clown!
8. Irish folk music is fantastic! LOVE IT. also had a nice reminder of how much I like country music.
9. Get your haircut by a professional (craig tried to cut his own while we were there- to be honest, it doesn't look bad, but still- I think we should both go get our hair cut by people who do it as their job.  B+P did and their hair looks great!)
10. Wool sweaters (blarney wool mill) and white lace place-mats are the bomb!

Bryan and Paige- we love you guys, thanks for the amazing time. I'm so glad we shared the experience, seeing you guys is always like a breath of fresh air. <3


Happy St. Patricks Day! 


1 comment:

  1. GREAT POST hahaha Bryan and I were smiling and laughing and saying "aww" all throughout reading this post together.

    My favorite part: "Always say hi to babies"

    Love you lots, Laura!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...